Wednesday, August 22, 2007

YouTube: Broadcast Yourself™

I have to say: that SJCPL video was AWESOME. I loved the end credits, and though the general idea + style weren't 100% original, the video was still creative and fun (besides, I love the fast motion/slow motion type of directing, and even if that idea isn't the most original one, most people usually make it their own anyway. Plus, you can never go wrong by adding music). It was cool that various staff members and their usual activities/jobs were part of the entire recording. Not to mention that the 4 producers/directors (Dale, Adam, Bob, and Michael) were pretty funny. Kudos.

As for YouTube, I already have an account on that site, and I created it for the sole purpose of uploading and sharing a few live concert video clips I had previously recorded. To be honest, I don't utilize my account very often, and I have a love/hate relationship with YouTube. While you CAN find interesting videos, there's also a lot of nonsense and inappropriate stuff on there (see also: various news programs that report on such videos). Sure, it's an outlet for creativity and sharing, but it can also host some garbage heaps, but that's true of everything on the Internet. Its heart is in the right place, though, and I think it's a pretty neat idea. Definitely makes it easier to upload and share videos.

When I searched "Schaumburg Library," many of the results were AuthorFest 2007-related. Here's one of those:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZbQzBvSTo --- Morgan Mandel spoke with author J.D. Webb about his current and future books while waiting for the library to open.

I found this quick tour and overview of the Gail Borden Library: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB5jgcOsRd8 (I found this one a little boring, to be honest).

And I found this one for the Arlington Heights Memorial Library: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6iRDOe4Bw4 --- a behind the scenes look at Technical Services!, ER style.

As for STDL making a library video: I think something creative, funny, and informative would be awesome. Maybe a broad review of the library, maybe department-specific videos. Maybe an Overdues Office Horror Stories Corner, or a jam-packed action/adventure video on emptying those relentless book drops or ending that never-ending line at checkout. How about a heart wrenching drama about the item you so desperately desire being checked out, only to realize that second chances come in the form of the Reserves Office?

With so many departments and services (and a lot of creative workers), I'm sure STDL can make itself look good regardless of the kind of video we make (though if it's got music and it makes me laugh, it's sure to be a winner).

Edit: I know the timestamps aren't that big of a deal, but this current one is an HOUR behind actual time, and it's just bugging me. I sent a message to the Help Center, so I guess I'll wait and see what happens. It boggles my mind: my format settings are correct (set to Central Time, and the time on that page matches real time), but the entry timestamps are wrong. Frustrating.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

You have such a great grasp of the negatives and positives for YouTube. I love your ideas. Keep going.