Thursday, August 23, 2007

Podcasts

The list was long, but I listened to a little bit of the approx. 28 minute-long 2007 Teen Poetry Slam podcast on the Kankakee Public Library website. I thought it was pretty cool to hear the teens' poetry (talent, creativity, all that jazz), and I'm sure it was neat for participating and fellow teens to hear the event broadcasted in this way.

The podcast articles: "Podcast/Vodcast Universe" was about Jo Ann Sampson's experiences with developing and creating a podcast-utilizing OCLS. She mentioned the key equation of podcasts ("AUDIO FILE + RSS FEED = PODCAST"), and she discussed the importance of podcasts and the opportunities they provide for the library and to patrons. Podcasts, including target audience specifics (children, teens, and events), would be a new way to provide library information and services to the community. Her mission proved to be successful and fairly popular.

The second article, "An Outlet for Creativity," focused on the Cheshire Public Library and the way it involved teens in a podcast program, allowing them an outlet for expression and creativity. The teen patrons at this library launched a podcast that featured "news, commentary, book and music reviews, and contributions from musicians and young writers." Talk about an awesome (and constructive/positive) way for teenagers to get involved with their local library.

When I Google searched "library podcasts," there were a ton of results. After combing through the results, though, I came upon these 2 sites:

1. http://podcast.denverlibrary.org/: Stories For Kids! What a neat idea. A page of podcasts featuring different childrens' stories. For example, I listened to Silly Sally, a short rhyming story. Even though I only listened to this particular recording, I would say that if the narrator was more animated, kids would be more interested.

2. http://www.library.ilstu.edu/page/1091: Illinois State University's Milner Library has a page dedicated to event podcasts. I listened (and it's currently playing in the background) to the most recent podcast: A Chat with Robert Ballard. He's talking about his various experiences, interests, and passions, including his Titanic discovery. Pretty cool.

Podcasts are pretty popular these days, and they're just another way for people to broadcast and share various audio and video files. Again, I've heard of and am familiar with Podcasts, but I've never really utilized them. As with everything else, STDL can use this kind of technology to archive and provide various types of information and services (i.e. Kids' Story Time with ______, New Movies and Music mentions + reviews, and Scary Stories from the Library Basement).

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow, at this rate you will be done before I can get you your card.

R said...

I stubbled upon your blog when I typed in Schaumburg in a search for RSS Feeds. I am so impressed with your ability to write and ability just to do what we are supposed to be doing for this exercise. I am adding your blog to my list so I can read more. Also I enjoyed your pictures.