Tuesday, August 21, 2007

RSS: Or how I keep tabs on my favorite websites.

Though I've heard of and am familiar with RSS, I've never bothered to subscribe to any feeds. That's probably because I usually get into the habit of checking my favorite websites daily (sometimes several times a day), but sometimes I forget or don't have time to check the updates and new haps --- then I fall out of the loop. So, I guess RSS feed subscriptions can be a good way of: 1. notifying readers about updates; and 2. letting readers keep tabs on updates. Setting up an account with Bloglines was quick and simple, and subscribing to a feed was just a click, copy, & paste job (though, when you wrote in the instructions, "There will be a lot of code," I was expecting a website-generated URL with a bunch of crazy symbols, forward slashes, numbers, and dot dot dots. After clicking the orange RSS button, though, and being redirected to a new page, I realized you just meant the URL in the address bar. Crisis averted, feed subscribed).

For now, I've subscribed to I Guess I'm Floating (the MP3 blog I mentioned in a previous entry), and I'm sure I'll find other websites and blogs to subscribe to later on. Plus, Bloglines looks like a pretty cool website. I'll have to play around with the different features when I've got some more time.

Speaking of being fed, I need to make something to eat!

Edit: I'm a little confused (and, well, worried because I don't want this to affect my time records). When I actually posted this entry, it was 12:28pm, but the time stamp at the bottom of the entry reads 12:11. I checked my time/date format, and I have it set for Central Time. Even the timestamp format (Settings ---> Formatting) reads the current time. Not sure why the time at the end of the entry is so off. I noticed this with my last few posts, too. Help?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.