Friday, August 31, 2007

Step 8, Part C: With A Vengeance

All right. So, this is pretty funny. You'll get a kick out of this. Remember how questions 2 and 3 were driving me nuts? I spent all this time searching and researching search engines, wondering if I was just looking in the wrong places or if my search words just weren't doing the trick, the whole time yelling at the "0 results" page: "No! I DON'T mean 'Yaya'!" and "Come on, Chestler!" Oh, and did I mention that a couple of the websites were restricting my access from home? Not sure if it was system glitches or (non)business hours or the world being against me or what, but even though the answer was just a CLICK away, I wasn't able to see it. "Access denied. This page is protected," it says, prompting me for a username, password, and a couple of choice words from my vocabulary. Plus, I think I may have accidentally signed up to purchase something from one of the websites. P.S. If the library gets any phonecalls from The Latino American Experience asking for Amy L., I'm not there.

Needless to say, that was pretty frustrating. I mean, being restricted to using only the eResources on the STDL 24/7 page and then being prevented from reading the results. I mean, question 2 asks about a Haitian folktale. [Start: sarcasm] What? There's a website called World Folklore and Folklife? Do you think I can find the answer there? [End: sarcasm] C'mon. OF COURSE that was the first search engine I tried. Typed in "AyAyAy!," got a result, and then wasn't able to see it. Moved on to The Latino American Experience website. Easily found a result. Wasn't able to view it. I mean, even after I authenticated my library card number! So, this I did report to Kathy, who forwarded the problem, and --- eventually --- Kris Kenney was able to fix the glitch (thanks, Kris. Wish I would have thought of contacting you sooner!). Before I could re-try at home, though, I tried the search engine at work (on Thursday; same day all these e-mails were going around), and there it was. In all its glory. AyAyAy! It took 3 minutes max. That's, hmmm, 1 billion less than what it took me the first time around. For the record, I can access those sites from home now.

Good ol' research question #3. Probably the most difficult of the three. Well, I know where the Chestlers live now, and I'd like to think they owe me big time. What happened with this research question? Well, the first site I used and continually revisited had the answer the entire time. This time, it was my fault. Kinda. I wasn't really searching in the right section. Though, in my defense, I did try the answer-bearing section 1 time but was too frustrated to try hard enough. Plus, the link title threw me off. "New" homeowners. Is 2002 really that new? Recent, yeah. New, no. For my sake, just agree with me.

Enough ranting. Now to answer the last 2 questions standing between me and the FINAL FRONTIER.

2. In the Haitian folktale, AyAyAy!, what items are used to teach aunty a lesson?: Four big crabs from the river, and long pine needles from the forest.
3. How much did Brad & Suzy Chestler pay for their Long Grove home in 2002?: $2,025,500.


I can't tell you how accomplished I feel now that I found those answers, especially that last one. I've already mentioned the frustrations I experienced with using the eResources, but at least I've used a search engine or two that I've never used before (and for topics/questions I've never researched).

So, finally, after almost 2 full days, Step 8 is completed. Finished. Done. I'd like to thank Suzy & Brad Chestler, Librarian Alex K., and the four big crabs.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I'm glad you emailed me about the problem. We do get patrons calling the CA desk with those types of issues. Nice Job!